Monday, January 14, 2008

Снег идет...

Today's winter thunderstorm triggered something in my head and this song came to mind. Sometimes other people manage to express how you feel a lot better then you are able. Unfortunately I could only find the lyrics to this song on a learn-to-play-guitar website. After carefully separating the text from the guitar chords it is posted below.

The title of the song is termed Snowfall or Snow is Falling. Neither one is an accurate description in English for when I hear Снег идет... different images come to mind verses when I hear Snowfall .. or Snow is falling .. . Снег идет... to me is more immediate. This could be because one language was learned in full before the other and words described in one will forever carry a deeper sense of significance.

Getting back to the song words like the literary"буран", the allusive lines such as "сходит наземь небосвод" and the melancholy favorite"может быть, за годом год следуют, как снег идет" seemed to have evaded me the last time I came across this song which was quite sometime ago. Possibly because the parts of the songs more pertinent to my life at the time shut out the less familiar words and thoughts the author was trying to tell.

I am torn between explaining my mind and attempting to maintain some sort of blog professionalism simultaneously which makes me wonder that maybe the photograph and the song would have been sufficient for this post. In any case after a quite lengthy introduction here is the song:

«Снег идет»

Снег идет, снег идет
К белым звездочкам в буране
тянутся цветы герани
за оконный переплет.

Снег идет, и все в сметенье,
все пускается в полет -
черной лестницы ступени,
перекрестка поворот.

Снег идет, снег идет,
словно падают не хлопья,
а в заплатаном солопе
сходит наземь небосвод.

Словно с видом чудака
с верхней лестничной площадки
крадучись, играя в прятки,
сходит небо с чердака.

Потому, что жизнь не ждет.
Не оглянешься - и святки.
Только промежуток краткий,
смотришь, там и новый год.

Снег идет, густой-густой.
В ногу с ним, стопами теми,
в том же темпе, с ленью той
или с той же быстротой,

может быть, проходит время?
Может быть, за годом год
слеуют, как снег идет,
или как слова в поэме?
Может быть, проходит время,
может быть, за годом год?..

Снег идет, снег идет,
снег идет, и все в смятенье:
убеленный пешеход,
удивленные растенья,
перекрестка поворот.


Снег идет,
снег идет...
Снег идет,
снег идет...


Сергей Никитин

1 comment:

Anna said...

On January 14th, 2009 my blog will be one year old. I am looking over this very first post, and remembering the circumstances that prompted me to write what I did. I feel like I could have expressed myself better but did not have it in me at the time.