Sunday, September 18, 2011

All Purpose Cake

I love this recipe. I think it's a typical Russian household cake but since no one ever taught me how to make traditional Russian food for me it's a big delicious novelty. In my old apartment I used to bake it for a full hour but in my new one I baked it for 45 and it was a little much. I think I will try 40 next time. I think what really makes this cake is the orange rind. It's like a difference between ordinary and a step up. The cake is very light meaning you can pretty much eat as much as you want. For the above I used apple, some strawberries and some raspberries.  This is fully stolen from  http://www.beyondsalmon.com/2007/05/my-moms-rhubarb-cake.html  recipe below. I thought I'd blog it in case it ever disappears or I get Alzheimer's and can no longer find the recipe online

Serves 8

3 large eggs
1 cup sugar
1 tsp vanilla
pinch of salt
1 cup all-purpose flour (4.5 oz)
1/2 tsp baking powder
Zest of 1 orange
1 Lb rhubarb, diced
Butter for greasing the pan

1. Preheat the oven to 375F.
2. In a large bowl, beat eggs, sugar, vanilla, and salt with a wire whisk until frothy. Add the flour, baking powder, and orange zest and continue to mix just until combined. Stop mixing as soon as the flour streaks disappear.
3. Butter an 8x8x2 pyrex dish or a baking dish of about that size. Spread the rhubarb in the bottom of the dish and pour the batter evenly on top. It will look like you have way more fruit than batter. Don't worry -- it will puff up in the oven.
   4. Bake for 50-60 minutes or until the skewer comes out clean (just make sure you are piercing the batter and not a piece of rhubarb).

No comments: